• Community Partners


Fab Findlay Fact

Fab Findlay Fact: Kelly Farm

by FCCA | Comments Off
Fabulous Findlay Fact  The Name Game: Kelly Farm Drive
The street, which runs north-south near the middle of the subdivision and crosses Findlay Creek Drive near where schools will eventually be built, is named for the Kelly family, which once owned the land Findlay Creek Village is built on.  The family arrived in Leitrim in 1934 and in pioneer times their farm was owned by John Lennox. The original farm house was made of stone and was located near the intersection of Bank Street and White Alder Avenue, and likely dated back to around Confederation.  It was demolished within the last 10 years. Local historian Glenn Clark believes the Kellys grew hay on the property. After selling their property for use as housing, the Kellys moved to John Quinn Road in Osgoode where they are dairy farmers and have a Holstein herd.

Randy Ray, a Findlay Creek resident, is the co-author of nine books about Canada. For more trivia, please visit www.triviaguys.com

Fab Findlay Fact: Bank Street

by FCCA | 1 Comments

Fabulous Findlay FactContrary to popular belief, the name did not originate from a family name or a financial institution. Back in the pioneer era, the street was but a block long going from Wellington Street to the ‘bank’ of the Ottawa River and that is how it got its name. The street extended south of Wellington Street but that portion was named Esther Street after the wife of Colonel John By. It was eventually renamed Bank Street in the 19th century. Bank Street as we know it today in the Findlay Creek area did not assume that name until city amalgamation in 2001. Previously, it was known by several names – the Bytown and Prescott Carriage Road, Prescott Road, Ottawa and Gloucester Road, Metcalfe Road, Metcalfe Highway, Highway 31, King’s Highway 31, Regional Road 85, and finally Regional Road 31. This fact was researched and submitted by Randy Ray, a Findlay Creek resident and co-author of nine books about Canada. For more trivia, please visit: www.triviaguys.com.

Fab Findlay Fact: Lonesome Graves

by FCCA | 2 Comments

FabFindlayFactTwo graves on the grassy lot at the northeast corner of Bank Street and Analdea Drive are leftovers from a Methodist Cemetery, which was once connected to a Methodist church. The church closed in the 1930s and was sold to the Women’s Institute in 1940 to serve as a community centre until the Fred Barrett Arena opened in 1969. The church was eventually torn down, and over the years the graves – with the exception of the two that remain – were relocated to the Johnston’s Corners cemetery on Albion Road south of the OLG Casino. This fact was researched and submitted by Randy Ray, a Findlay Creek resident and co-author of nine books about Canada. For more trivia, please visit: www.triviaguys.com.

Fab Findlay Fact: Grass, Grass, Everywhere

by FCCA | 2 Comments

FabFindlayFact Much of Findlay Creek is covered in grass – on lawns, boulevards and in parks.  Here are some fab facts about the lush green vegetation that keeps our neighborhood looking great: 20% of the earth’s vegetation is comprised of grass; grass is made up of about 80% water; most lawns consist of about six grass plants per square inch and some lawns can have well over a million grass plants.  And finally, the average lawn releases enough oxygen to sustain 16 people. This fact was researched and submitted by Randy Ray, a Findlay Creek resident and co-author of nine books about Canada. For more trivia, please visit: www.triviaguys.com.

Page 1 of 512345